Adapted from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking. The onions and mushrooms can be cooked separately at different times, but they taste better if done this way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onions and toss to coat with oil.
- 3Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- 4Cook 10 minutes, tossing once after 5-6 minutes.
- 5Uncover and stir.
- 6Cook, stirring and scraping occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, depending on how brown you want them.
- 7Remove and let cool.
- 8Add the remaining oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 9Add mushrooms, tossing constantly.
- 10Cook until mushrooms become shrunken and browned.
- 11Remove and let cool.
- 12Place onions, mushrooms, and all remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- 13Pulse to chop coarsely.
- 14Scrape mixture from the rim down and then from the bottom up.
- 15Pulse again until mixture is fine but not pasty, and has a spreadable consistency.
- 16Keeps up to 1 week in refrigerator if tightly covered.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Mock Chopped Liver
Serving Size: 1 (940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.9
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 203.4 mg
- Sodium 502.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 16.1 g