Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is posted by request. Original recipe is by Steve Brill.
- 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups millet
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms, of your choice
- 1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let cook, covered until all the liquid is absorbed and millet is tender, around 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Just WOW and what a surprise! We had all this extra millet on hand and 10 people for dinner so we figured, why not? We could not imagine what peanuts in millet would be like. But it was incredibly. The nuts added a subtle nutty flavor but too strong. Really what they did was break up the millet and make it fluffier. We could not find a plantain so we skipped it but will do this again with it just to see how it turns out. Also, we found a jar of marinated mushrooms at Trader Joes and used those for the mushrooms of our choice and then did not add additional seasoning. When we set it up on the stove we wondered what it would be like and in the end, it was fabulous. Would definately make this again