Recipe by Experiment #624
Trust me this isn't an ordinary meat loaf. My husband hates onions and mushrooms but he doesn't even know they are in it! Both of us hate traditional meat loaf, so I surfed through the internet until coming across something without catsup. Once I varied the ingredients a little bit, it turned out awesome.if you have a Magic Bullet (60 bucks at Wal-mart, use it to make bread crumbs instead of tearing, the bread, it comes out a lot nicer. I also use double the amount of Worcestershire sauce in mine because I like it a lot.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, but 85% works well too (preferably 93% lean)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 eggs, fork beaten or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 slices bread (torn into very small pieces)
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (table salt is fine too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onions or 1⁄2 cup sliced dried onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (only if using RAW onion.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- chop mushroom and onion to approximately 1/4 inch pieces.
- If you are using RAW onion heat the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until the onion is soft/tender. let cool.
- In large mixing bowl add milk, egg, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper together then beat well.
- Next add the bread and blend into the mix.
- Then add the beef, cooled onions, mushrooms, and garlic and blend that in as well (I just use the same fork I blended the egg with to blend everything together).
- Spread the mixture evenly into a bread loaf pan (9x5x3-inch).
- Bake at 350°F for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes or until the center is no longer pink/red.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.