Recipe by michs@m@nt
Button mushrooms with green peas in a sauce of cashew nuts. My favorite Indian dishes are mostly those, where the base is the sauce of cashew nuts. Its flavour is somewhat sweet, so even if more spicy, the taste of cashew nuts and cream lighten it. This dish is great with indian breads (paratha, Naan, chapati ...), because the sauce is quite thick, so it is possible to eat it with those breads using them as a spoon.
Top Review by kittycatonline.com
I really enjoyed this dish. Having just eaten at a nice Indian restaurant a few days ago, I had fond memories of their mushroom mattar. The version here brought me back to that happy place, and I'll be making this again and again. The only changes I made was I used plain yogurt instead of cream, and Thai chili peppers instead of kashmir chili powder. This is an excellent dish!
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1 garlic clove
- ginger, half size of garlic clove that we use
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 150 ml fresh cream
- on the tip of the knife kashmiri chili powder (it is mild chilli)
- on the tip of the knife amchoor powder, dried mango (optional)
- 1 small cups water
- 1⁄2-1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Trim the stem of the button mushrooms. Leave them whole if small or cut them into 1/2 or 1/4. Heat the butter and oil in kadhai (indian wok). Add the mushrooms and stir fry on low flame till dry and golden. Stir occasionally. Add grated garlic and grated ginger and a pinch of black pepper powder. Stir for 1 minute and remove from fire. Keep aside.
- 2. Heat the pan without oil and brown the cashew nuts. Let them cool down a bit and grind with garam masala into powder. There is no need to make it really smooth, leave some bigger pieces of cashew nuts, they will be crunchy in food.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and cook on low heat till oil separates. Do not let the onions turn brown.
- 4. Add the cashew nuts with garam masala powder, mix well and cook for a few seconds.
- 5. Add fresh cream and mix well, cook on low flame for about 2-3 minutes, till the cream is completely absorbed and a gravy is thick. Then add salt, chili powder and Amchur. Stir fry for a while.
- 6. Add green peas and mushrooms.
- 7. Add about 1 small cup of water or milk and mix well. We need to get thick sauce which is possible to eat with indian breads. Cook on low flame for about 2-3 minutes and serve.