Recipe by Grandma Beverly
This a little lighter Mac & Cheese that I invented one day when I was a little short of cheese but very much wanted the comfort food experience. It turned into a huge hit. I am estimating amounts because I have no measures so far. Comments will be welcomed. Feel free to substitute types of cheese, mushrooms or stock to your taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni (approx)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, if you prefer
- 3 -4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided (or other , mix & match to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup dried mushroom, broken into manageable pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- dried mustard or Worcestershire sauce, as desired
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried mushrooms in hot water for about 15 minutes. Once mushrooms are reconstituted squeeze out liquid & reserve both mushrooms & liquid.
- Melt butter over low heat and add flour. Cook gently for 3 or 4 minutes. Whisk in mushroom liquid and sufficient stock to form a medium thick sauce. Add 1/2 the grated cheese & whisk until smooth.
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water until just less than 'al dente'.
- Grease (or spray coat) an 8x8 baking dish. Layer Macaroni, cheese & mushroom sauce & remaining grated cheese in at least 2 layers. You may add more cheese or breadcrumbs, etc. on top.
- Bake at 350 approx 30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and any topping is browned.