Recipe by YummySmellsca
With three hits of mushroom and a bevy of vegetables, this one-pot meal is sure to please any mushroom lover! The natural richness of turkey and a kiss of cocoa make this meal special, and because of the potatoes you don't have to make a side dish! Note: accurate NI is here: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2001869&ff=1
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb raw skinless turkey (breasts and legs)
- 1 medium sweet onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large celery rib, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 28 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 red potatoes, cut into small cubes (keep skin on)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a spice mill or coffee grinder reserved for spices, grind the porcinis to a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil until shimmering. Season turkey pieces with salt and pepper and add to the pot.
- Brown on all sides, in 2-3 batches. Transfer the browned pieces to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion, pepper, carrots and celery.
- Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, rosemary, thyme, mustard powder, paprika and red pepper flakes, stirring well. Salt to taste.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring vigorously, until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Add the diced tomatoes, ground mushroom powder, cocoa, tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the turkey pieces to the pot with the potato cubes and stir well.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes, until the turkey and potatoes are done.