Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 8 large portabella mushroom caps
- 1 lb button mushroom, stems removed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 16 ounces French bread (loaf)
- 3 cups shredded gruyere cheese or 3 cups swiss cheese
- Preheat the broiler; wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel and slice them.
- Heat the oil and butter in a deep skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add in the bay leaf, garlic, and sliced mushrooms.
- Cook 12-15 minutes until the mushrooms are dark and tender.
- Season mushrooms with salt and pepper; add in the wine, stirring the skillet with a wooden spoon to deglaze.
- Shake the pan and add in the Worcestershire sauce and thyme; turn off the heat.
- Split the loaf first lengthwise and then across.
- Pull out and discard a bit of the soft insides.
- Toast the bread lightly under the broiler, then fill each section of bread evenly with mushrooms.
- Top liberally with the cheese; return bread sections to the broiler until the cheese browns and bubbles; remove pizzas from oven and serve.