Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
We enjoyed this low cal/filling wholesome soup. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chives or 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- In a heatproof measuring cup or bowl combine hot water and dried mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes or so, strain but reserve liquid. Pat dry and chop. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil and then add onion, celery and carrots, cook stirring until softenened (5-10 minutes). Stir in chili powder and mushrooms and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a boil. Transfer to crock pot.
- Add vegetable broth, reserved mushroom liquid and lentils. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4-5 hours) or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with chives or parsley (we used chives -- yum!).
I LOVED this and hubby didn't like it at all, so I am giving it a 4 :) That's meeting in the middle, right? Anyhoo, it is a filling, flavorful soup that was easy to throw together. I cut the recipe in half, but added the full amt of dried porcini mushrooms, plus about 5 sliced button mushrooms plus a can of mushrooms LOL. It was all about the mushroom here. I didn't precook any of the veggies, just threw everything in the crockpot and cooked on high for 5 hours, then put it in the fridge for the flavors to mend overnight. Today when serving, I did need to add extra veggie broth. I really enjoyed it!! Looks like the leftovers will be all mine!
I loved this soup and so good for you. Low in fat, but still full of flavor. I will certainly make this again. I didn't have dried mushroon, so subed fresh instead. Worked out great.