Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These were the first ever veggie patties that I have ever eaten and they are terrific, whether served with rice and a salad for dinner or in a whole wheat kaiser garnished with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise for lunch.
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In the oven, toast the walnuts until fragrant, about 5 minutes; transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat; fry the mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains, about 5 minutes.
- Add to the food processor.
- Add the lentils and Worcestershire sauce to the food processor; pulse to mix.
- Mix in the bread crumbs and parsley.
- Form into 8 1/2-inch thick patties.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat; fry the patties, in batches and turning once, until crusty, 8 minutes.