Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
If the pasta sauce is meatless this is a vegetarian dish! It can be a lunch or a main course for a dinner. I have had no complaints when I've served it.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (try a red onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms (assorted or plain mushrooms, try cremini, shiitake, brown, button etc)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chunky pasta sauce, any flavour
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese (or what you like)
- Cook lasagna according to directions.
- Heat oil in skillet; saute vegetables until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in pasta sauce and heat through.
- Spread thin layer of sauce in 13" X 9" dish.
- Top with 3 noodles, then 2 Tbs cheese& some sauce.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Cover with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I loved this recipe but I tweeked it for our tastes. I sauteed the mushrooms until they were just barely softened. I used a whole jar of pasta sauce and added 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon basil to the pasta sauce to get a fuller flavor. I used about 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Thanks for a great idea for a meatless lasagna.
I made this same recipe for my girlfriend in college and it was great! Of course I did not obtain the recipe from this website; I got it out of Maxim magazine but have since forgot it. I am thrilled to have found it once again. By the way I am now married to the woman that I maid the Mushroom Lasagna for. I still love to cook and am very happy to now be a registered member of Recipezaar however, I am no longer aloud to read Maxim magazine. :( Corey
I mixed a thawed and drained 8oz box of frozen spinach and about 4-6oz of shredded mozarella cheese into 16oz of reduced fat ricotta. I used whole wheat lasagna, UNCOOKED. 24oz of pasta sauce. This made a very full 9x13 dish when layered. Recomend foil under it, even though I had no boil over. Baked covered for 40 mins, cotinued uncovered until brown and bubbly. The noodles were perfect. "This was the first time I tried this method." My wife loved my new semi healthy, meatless lasagna. I no longer fear the lasagna mystic. It is so easy when you don't have to cook the noodles!