1/2 Photos of Mushroom Kebabs for the Grill
I tasted these first at a Saturday Farmers' Market at Stellenbosch (near Cape Town). The lady who sold them had several types of mushrooms on her skewers and grilled them over coals -- so use as many types of mushrooms as you can get -- or one type only, they'll still be good! Having enjoyed them once again at the Market, I imitated them, but I think my marinade is better than hers!! Quick and easy, and grill along with the meat. On hot coals or charcoal this takes only a few minutes -- do not try and get them to be soft, as they'll break up. Put them on with the meat, and turn them gently with tongs, as they shrink and can slide off the skewers easily. If they catch here and there, no matter. Delicious!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mushroom (mixed-type mushrooms if you can get them)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- vietnamese coriander leaves (optional)
- 1In my photographs you might see something green skewered between the mushrooms. This is called "Vietnamese Coriander", which was new to me, so I bought it to taste. I put some folded leaves between die mushrooms,, and it was a delightful herby taste! But it's entirely optional. The photos were taken before they were grilled, as it was impossible afterwards: DH put them in a dish with the meat, and it was already dark.
- 2You need 4 - 6 bamboo skewers. Keep in mind that grilled mushrooms shrink a bit, but not as much as in a pan, because they don't go as soft. Do pack the skewers generously.
- 3Clean mushrooms if necessary. Use as many types as you can get. (I have not tried reconstituting dried mushrooms, but I suppose it can work).
- 4In a bowl, whisk everything in a bowl: from the olive oil down to the sea salt flakes.
- 5Thread the various mushrooms on the skewers. If large, like oyster mushrooms, simply cut them into smaller bits.
- 6Put the mushroom skewers into a suitable container, and drizzle over the marinade/dressing.
- 7Leave at room temperature until needed, and turn at least once in the next hour.
- 8Grill with the meats on the grid, drizzling over the leftover marinade. Don't worry if the oil in the marinade makes the flames flare up: it adds to the taste! Enjoy -- it's super!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Kebabs for the Grill
Serving Size: 1 (683 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard
flaked sea salt