Recipe by Zurie
I tasted these first at a Saturday Farmers' Market at Stellenbosch (near Cape Town). The lady who sold them had several types of mushrooms on her skewers and grilled them over coals -- so use as many types of mushrooms as you can get -- or one type only, they'll still be good! Having enjoyed them once again at the Market, I imitated them, but I think my marinade is better than hers!! Quick and easy, and grill along with the meat. On hot coals or charcoal this takes only a few minutes -- do not try and get them to be soft, as they'll break up. Put them on with the meat, and turn them gently with tongs, as they shrink and can slide off the skewers easily. If they catch here and there, no matter. Delicious!!
- 1 lb mushroom (mixed-type mushrooms if you can get them)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- vietnamese coriander leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In my photographs you might see something green skewered between the mushrooms. This is called "Vietnamese Coriander", which was new to me, so I bought it to taste. I put some folded leaves between die mushrooms,, and it was a delightful herby taste! But it's entirely optional. The photos were taken before they were grilled, as it was impossible afterwards: DH put them in a dish with the meat, and it was already dark.
- You need 4 - 6 bamboo skewers. Keep in mind that grilled mushrooms shrink a bit, but not as much as in a pan, because they don't go as soft. Do pack the skewers generously.
- Clean mushrooms if necessary. Use as many types as you can get. (I have not tried reconstituting dried mushrooms, but I suppose it can work).
- In a bowl, whisk everything in a bowl: from the olive oil down to the sea salt flakes.
- Thread the various mushrooms on the skewers. If large, like oyster mushrooms, simply cut them into smaller bits.
- Put the mushroom skewers into a suitable container, and drizzle over the marinade/dressing.
- Leave at room temperature until needed, and turn at least once in the next hour.
- Grill with the meats on the grid, drizzling over the leftover marinade. Don't worry if the oil in the marinade makes the flames flare up: it adds to the taste! Enjoy -- it's super!