Recipe by Rita~
Check out this comforting stuffing with yummy healthy Crimini & white mushrooms, celery and onions.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
An easy to make, flavoursome and moist stuffing. I made this and Rita’s Chestnut and Cranberry Stuffing Recipe #145340 in casserole dishes. Both are equally delicious warm or at room temperature. We initially ate them warm, and there was considerable debate – among eight of us – as to which was the preferred stuffing. Most ended up sitting on the fence and saying that they loved both equally, so it looks as if I’ll be making both whenever I make one of them! I made this stuffing exactly to the recipe, except for adding four cloves of minced garlic, and marjoram instead of parsley which I’d run out of. For the stock, I used a chicken stock variation of my Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453, which I shall be posting shortly. Thanks, Rita, for another fabulous recipe which I shall be making again.
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 3 quarts of slightly dry whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and slice the mushrooms with an egg slicer. Sauté in 1 tablespoons of butter with the chopped onions and celery.
- Combine the bread cubes, seasonings, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and celery.
- And the remaining butter.
- Add the chicken broth and mix well.
- Mixes 8 cups of stuffing or enough to stuff.
- A 10-12 lb. Turkey.