1/1 Photo of Mushroom Grilled Cheese
Chef Petunia's Note:
One of the best tasting grilled cheese sandwiches I tasted. This recipe comes from The Closet Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or 1/4 cup broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1 cup fontina or 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- 4Add the cremini mushrooms and saute until the start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- 5Add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley and remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- 7Mix the cheese into the mushrooms.
- 8Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- 9Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and finally the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up.
- 10Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Grilled Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.0
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 129.5 mg
- Sodium 1116.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 28.1 g