Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of the best tasting grilled cheese sandwiches I tasted. This recipe comes from The Closet Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1 cup fontina or 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and saute until the start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley and remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Mix the cheese into the mushrooms.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and finally the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.