Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A french-style green bean casserole minus the fried onions and using homemade white sauce with fresh mushrooms and onions. This is very similar to Kittencal's Delicious Creamy Cheesy Green Bean Casserole , but mine does not use water chestnuts or almonds, and mine uses Cheez Whiz process cheese instead of shredded cheddar. You can use two 16-ounce packages of frozen french-style green beans instead if you like. Use more or less cream depending on how thick you like your sauce. Yum!
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (16 ounce) jarprocess cheese sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually stir in cream.
- Bring to a boil, then cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and hot pepper sauce until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in green beans.
- Pour into an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
I can't believe no one has used this one. Loved it and of course I made my own tweaks in seasoning, but it was great will do again.