Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from the reynoldskitchens.com website. This roast is baked in a large oven roasting bag. I love these roasting bags and next to a crockpot, this is my favorite method for making pot roast and other recipes as well. Cleanup is a breeze too, which is always a top priority to me. I like to add potatoes and baby carrots to the roasting bag to cook along with the roast beef. Dinner in a dish. It just doesn't get any easier than this. NOTE: If you wish to have plenty of gravy, I recommend doubling all ingredients with the exception of the roast beef.
- 1 oven cooking bag, large size
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (3/4-1 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 -5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, fat trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, and
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Shake flour in oven bag; place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Add gravy mix and water to oven bag.
- Squeeze oven bag to blend in flour.
- Add onion and mushrooms to oven bag. Turn oven bag to coat ingredients with gravy.
- Rub roast with thyme, salt and pepper; place roast in oven bag.
- Close oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top of bag.
- Bake until roast is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Let roast rest for 5 minutes in the cooking bag prior to slicing.