Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was my aunt's delicious vegetarian solution to brown gravy. She came up with this for Thanksgiving and none of us could get enough. Even my uncle swore that it was better than any meat gravy he'd ever had.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) containerssliced white mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk (whole is best)
- 3 tablespoons tamari or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- sautee mushrooms, onions and 1/2 stick butter in large saucepan or pot, over.
- medium heat - stirring frequently.
- gradually add 3 heaping tablespoons of flour and remaining 1/4 stick of.
- butter (stir constantly) to make a rue.
- stir in 2 cups of milk and 3 tablespoons of tamari.
- add 1 cup of apple juice, 1 cup of water, and seasonings to taste (we used two large sprigs of each fresh herb).
- continue to cook, stirring occasionaly, 5 minutes or more before serving.