Adapted from Classic Home Cooking cookbook, this is rich and delicious! French, New England, South, Mid West, Mid Atlantic
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (shitake, white, oyster, etc.)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- tarragon leaf, to garnish
- 1Make the choux pastry:.
- 2Sift the flour with a pinch of salt. Put the measured water and butter into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Remove from the heat and add the flour. Beat well until the mixture is smooth and glossy and leaves the side of the pan clean. Leave it to cool slightly.
- 4Beat the eggs and cheese, if using, into the flour mixture until it's smooth and glossy. Make the gougere by buttering a large shallow ovenproof dish and lightly pressing the choux pastry around the edge, leaving a hole in the middle. Cover and chill while preparing the filling.
- 5Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the mushrooms, and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring until the mixture thickens. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Return the mushrooms to the pan and add the tarragon, salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the middle of the choux ring and bake in a 425*F. oven for 35-40 minutes, until well risen and golden. Garnish with tarragon, and serve hot. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Gougere
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.0
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 312.3 mg
- Sodium 340.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: