Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is a basic quick dinner with fresh vegetables and cheese. feel free to add zucchini, asparagus, spinach- even cooked salmon - this is very adaptable.
- 2 whole garlic heads, wrapped in foil (use the entire bulbs, not the little cloves)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet white onion
- 4 cups thinly sliced assorted mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2⁄3 cup fresh parmesan cheese or 2⁄3 cup pecorino romano cheese or 2⁄3 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta, boiled and drained.
- Preheat oven to 375 and roast the garlic 1 1/4 hours.
- Cook the mushrooms and onions in the butter, on medium heat, for three minutes.
- Add the broth, thyme and bay leaves.
- Turn to low heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Squeeze out the garlic into a small bowl- be careful, it's hot, so release the steam first.
- Mash garlic with a fork until smooth, then add it to the sauce.
- Simmer one minute, remove the bay leaves, add the cream and the cheese and stir a couple more minutes until the cheese has blended.
- Taste it and add salt to your liking.
- add a dash or two of hot sauce.
- Serve immediately over cooked fettucine.
I don't think it needs the half and half and I added some wine and lemon juice for added flavor. We ate it all up though- I love mushrooms!