This will go wonderfully with something like grilled steak or teriyaki chicken, or just on its own as a vegetarian main dish.
- 236.59 ml cooked rice (long grain, white, jasmine, brown, etc.)
- 29.58 ml coconut oil
- 118.29 ml minced red onion
- 340.19 g button mushrooms, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml minced fresh ginger
- 226.79 g water chestnuts, chopped
- 29.58-59.16 ml Japanese soy sauce
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml dark sesame oil
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 118.29 ml frozen peas
- 14.79 ml toasted sesame seeds
- black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil; keep nearby.
- In a large skillet or on a griddle, cook onion and mushroom in coconut oil until the mushrooms release their water and that evaporates.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the water chestnuts, scallions and peas, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and cook until rice is lightly golden in some spots, then add sauce, stirring well.
- Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, or use them as a garnish.