Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This will go wonderfully with something like grilled steak or teriyaki chicken, or just on its own as a vegetarian main dish.
- 1 cup cooked rice (long grain, white, jasmine, brown, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil; keep nearby.
- In a large skillet or on a griddle, cook onion and mushroom in coconut oil until the mushrooms release their water and that evaporates.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the water chestnuts, scallions and peas, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and cook until rice is lightly golden in some spots, then add sauce, stirring well.
- Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, or use them as a garnish.
I LOVE this recipe. I used olive oil instead of coconut because its what I had on hand but followed everything else and it turned out delicious! The dark sesame oil really gives it that Asian flavor. Thank you!