Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A fairly quick and very tasty dish
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely chopped,more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced cooked pork or 1⁄2 cup shrimp (or a combination of the two)
- 4 cups cold cooked rice, rubbed gently to separate grains
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions, and cook until beginning to soften, stirring or tossing several times.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, add pork or shrimp, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and soy sauce.
- Stir to combine, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring or tossing several times.
- Make a well in center of rice, add eggs, and cook until partially set, stirring just the egg portion of the mixture.
- When mostly set, stir into the rice, breaking up the eggs.
- Add green onions, parsley, and pepper, and continue cooking, tossing or stirring regularly, until heated.
- Season to taste with more soy sauce or salt as desired.
I made this as a side dish to my Surf and Turf, Asian Style and it was perfect. My husband devoured it and saved the scant cup of leftovers as his own (he never saves leftovers!). The only change I made was to omit the 1/2 cup diced meat since I was serving it with a meat/seafood entree. Thank you Toby for posting this, it was terrific :)
We didn't have any meat or seafood to add but it was fine without it.
We really liked this rice - I think I should have used more soy sauce though because mine didn't have a whole lot of flavor. But we still enjoyed it and all 3 of my kids ate it and liked it as well. Thanks