1 hr 30 mins
"smoky dried chestnuts, roasted mushrooms, and fresh herbs give their rich tastes to this satisfying dish" It was just a normal December night and I was ravenous from spending a few hours writing a paper. I took a break for dinner and decided to eat at Risley Dining Hall. Cornell University Dining is known for their good food, but this was AMAZING! After eating this wonderful dish, I was in heaven, I had to ask for the recipe. The chef was very happy to give it to me. They told me that the french lentils are key to the dish as it gives a special flavor that green lentils just don't have and french lentils also hold up better in cooking. I hope you enjoy this amazing dish. A perfect dish to show company that vegan can mean gourmet. I think it may be from the book Voluptuous Vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chestnuts, soaked in 5 cups of water
- 3/4 cup lentils, french
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large portobello mushroom, in chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh, minced
- 1 bouquet garni of fresh rosemary and fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Skim off chestnut skins that have floated to the top. In their liquid, bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes, until tender. Drain, reserving the cooking liquids.
- 3Cover the lentils with 4 cups of water in a saucepan. Add the bouquet garni of rosemary, thyme, and 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook partially covered for 30 to 35 minutes, until just tender.
- 4Toss the mushrooms with the olive oil and tamari. Roast for 30 minutes or until brown and tender.
- 5Saute the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until translucent. Add the lentils with the cooked mushrooms and chestnuts along with their cooking liquid.
- 6Stir in lemon juice and herbs.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom, French Lentil and Chestnut Ragout
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 509.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs