Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe from the local newspaper! Cooking time is very different each time... farfel can take 60-90 mins to become tender.
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked farfel (toasted barley-shaped egg noodles; egg barley)
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded,caps coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas and carrots or 1 1⁄2 cups mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon leaf thyme
- In saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
- Add farfel (egg barley), cover, and reduce heat to simmer 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, spray lg skillet with cooking spray and saute leek and mushrooms over med heat for 3-4 mins.
- Add frozen veggies, thyme and cooked farfel.
- Stir and heat through.
the cooking time for this recipe is too long- according to the package irections it should be cooked between 10-15 minutes. i think your recipe source was mistaken. this is usually a great side dish for a brisket
I suspect the poster meant 6-9 minutes for the Farfel....there is no way it takes 60 minutes to cook Farfel