Happy Harry #2's Note:
My first time tasting a mushroom duxelle was in a French restaurant many years ago. Since then, it has become an intrical part of my cooking. This recipe has been changed from the original to become more "every day" cooking friendly.( I also have a less expensive, lower fat version of this-Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 shallots, thinly sliced*
- 14 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 large yellow pepper, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1/2 large green pepper, seeded, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1Heat a large skillet that has a tight fitting cover.
- 2Add oil and bring just below smoking level.
- 3Add shallots, stir well to coat. Lower heat to medium-high. Fry shallots until they just start to turn golden brown.
- 4Add all the peppers, Season with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until they just start to become soft.
- 5Add all the mushrooms on top. Do Not Mix!
- 6Cover skillet, turn heat to low. Let simmer 10 minutes, then uncover.
- 7Add garlic and stir everything together.
- 8Continue to cook, UNCOVERED, until mushrooms have wilted to half the amount you started with -- about 15 minutes on low heat.
- 9You will have liquid from the mushrooms when finished. I keep the liquid with the mix as it adds flavor to most everything you use it for.
- 10*If you choose not to use shallots, you can use any type of onion you wish.
- 11This cooks down a great deal so plan accordingly. I always make more than I need because this freezes so well and can be use in so many different recipes.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Duxelle - My Way!
Serving Size: 1 (950 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.8
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 156.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g