Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This recipe was posted in response to a request for a vegetarian curry with mushrooms. This comes from the original Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 2 medium green apples, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon honey, to taste
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- basmati rice, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat.
- After onions begin to soften, add spices and salt.
- Saute another 5-8 minutes until onions are completely softened.
- Add celery and mushrooms.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You can add up to 1/2 cup of water or reserved tomato juice to prevent sticking.
- When celery is tender, add tomatoes, apples, coconut, honey and lemon.
- cover and continue to cook until vegetable are tender, but not overly soft.
- Additional water may be added if pan gets too dry.
- Add cayenne to taste, remove from heat.
- Let curry stand, covered for another 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.