Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Once a year my dh buys cubed steaks at the "West Side Market" with an Entertainment coupon just before it expires. I usually make a swiss steak type dish with them, but this looked good to me, since I like mushrooms. I put it here for safe keeping. It did turn out tasty, though the broth needs to be thickened in the end I thought.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cubed minute steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium skillet, over low heat, cook onion in butter. Add mushrooms, saute 5 minutes over medium heat. Add juice and beef broth over high heat.
- until liquid reduces by half.
- Combine flour and pepper and coat steaks in a large skillet. Melt butter and cook steaks 3-4 minutes until browned. Pour mushroom sauce over steaks and simmer until sauce thickens slightly for 3-4 minutes.
This is an easy weeknight dinner. Tasted great. Wasn't sure if there was an ingredient missing, because the instructions say to "Add juice and beef broth" but don't know what juice it meant, since there is none in the ingredient list. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
We thought this was very good.
This was very good.........but I did make a couple of changes. I have a hard time getting cubed steaks tender.....that gristle just won't break down unless I bake the steaks for a while.
So I made the recipe as written, added just a bit of flour to the sauce, and simmered it on the stove for about an hour. It turned out so tender we didn't need a knife, and the flavor was very good.
I don't like to rate a recipe if I make changes,(thus the 4), but I can't buy tender cube steaks at my store, so I improvised.
Thanks for a recipe I will use often.