Top Review by Jmommy209
I was so happy to find this recipe with a review as I was thinking along these lines for dinner tonight. Following the reviewer's comment about blandness, I added some extra onion (about 3/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup). Instead of using water, I made a quick "stock" with the mushroom stems, onion ends and the skins from the garlic and onion, which I simmered while I was chopping and sauteeing. In place of cooking spray, I used 1 Tbsp of butter. I upped the salt to 1/2 tsp and added 1 tsp of dried basil and 1/2 tsp each of thyme, onion and garlic powders, which I sauteed with the mushrooms, onion and garlic for about a minute before adding the stock. Overall, I was very pleased with the results. Thank you for a great starting point, Michele 7!
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2⁄3 cup couscous, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large saucepan with butter spray; place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; saute until tender.
- Stir in water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in couscous; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until couscous is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff couscous with a fork.