Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Warm, thick mushroomy goodness for a cold winter day. Another recipe from "Old Fashioned Mushroom Recipes", which I haven't yet tried.
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (chop half of them)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 quarts broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 cup grated raw potato
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Place chopped mushrooms and chicken broth in a large saucepan and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate skillet or saucepan sauté the remaining whole mushrooms and onion in butter.
- Then blend in flour.
- Stir this mixture into the hot broth with the raw potato.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, or until potato is tender.
- Add seasoning as desired.
- Just before serving add cream.
- Garnish bowls with chopped parsely or chives.
Pretty darn good. I used half shitake mushrooms and half white mushrooms, threw in extra potatoes and some garlic and Emeril's Essence. (It did need some kicking up) Hubby loved it and we'll have it again...probably add even more potatoes next time. Thanks!
I cooked this for my family's lunch today. It was a little bland for our taste so I added a big splash of soy sause and a big splash of red wine. Yumm. shall probably make again with my changes. Bella