Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This I saw on the Tony Danza Show by Chef David Burke (01/19/06) and we then made them. I have taken the liberty of tweaking it ever so slightly.
- 1 lb large white mushroom
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- kosher salt, as needed
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, garnish (optional)
- With a sharp knife or a mandolin, slice each mushroom cap horizontally into very thin, almost translucent slices.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil to 375ºF.
- Add mushroom slices, a few at a time, to hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove mushroom slices from oil and drain on paper towels; repeat until all mushrooms are cooled.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper if using.
- Now, sprinkle with a few chopped parsley leaves.
- The mushroom chips will become crisper as they cool; allow 1 hour.
- Serve with cocktails, as a soup garnish, on a salad and/or with a steak.