Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great freezer meal. I think it came from one of the Frozen Assets books.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- chopped cilantro
- Cut chicken into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, 1/4 cup broth, soy sauce, cayenne and sherry. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until onion is brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook over medium hi heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Add onion and mushrooms back to pan.
- Pour in cornstarch mixture. Stir and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- To serve immediately:.
- Bring milk and 3/4 cup broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add couscous and stir well.
- Cover with a lid, remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes.
- fluff couscous with a fork.
- Serve chicken/mushroom mixture over the couscous.
- To freeze:.
- Cool chicken mixture. Package in a large freezer bag or a freezer container.
- To serve from frozen:.
- Thaw overnight in fridge or thaw in the microwave.
- Prepare couscous as above.
- Heat chicken mixture on stove top until hot and bubbly.
- Serve over couscous and garnish with chopped cilantro.
This was lovely. I just had some freshly cooked, but I've frozen some too. I added more cayenne, because I love it, and also added some green capsicum (bell pepper), but otherwise stuck to the recipe. For how easy it was to make, the taste was fantastic!
This is decent for a freezer meal, but needs some playing with on the ingredients to get the flavors just right. I'd cut back on the onion and up the sherry or the soy sauce for a bit more robust flavor.