Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty and creamy dish inspired by hard times and financial cutbacks. Though it may be a cheap eat it will become a family favorite at the table. NOTE: You can also make this ahead and store in your fridge up to 24 hours. Simply add an additional 10 minutes to your baking time :)
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half, grilled
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter (I prefer to use real butter) or 4 tablespoons margarine (I prefer to use real butter)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (I like to use Campbell's brand)
- 1 (6 ounce) herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 (8 ounce) sour cream (I like to use Daisy brand)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 cup water
- *Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- * After grilling or searing your chicken breasts in a pan, cut chicken into 1-2 inch strips and place in an ungreased 8" x 9" casserole dish. Set aside.
- * In a medium mixing bowl and wooden spoon, combine the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream, blending them together to create a uniformed consistency and appearance. Then add the frozen peas and pour the mixture over the chicken and smooth out with a wooden spoon or spatula so the layer is completely even.
- * Next, layer the sliced mushrooms over the cream mixture so you barely see any white from second layer. Set aside.
- * In a large mixing bowl empty the entire package of stop top. Add the 4 tablespoons of butter. Microwave 1 cup of water to boil and pour into the stuffing and butter. Mix with a spoon till the butter has melted and the stuffing has taken on a moist yet crumbly appearance.
- * Spoon stuffing over the mushroom layer and dot the top every 2 inches or so with butter. Cover with aluminum, place the casserole dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- * Remove aluminum foil and continue to bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes and serve.