Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
A nice sauce to accompany beef or vegetables
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Combine cornstarch and milk in a saucepan, whisking until smooth.
- Add 2 tbs butter, basil, salt& pepper.
- cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover boil 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, add sour cream and cheese.
- Stir constantly until cheese melts and mixture is well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Saute mushrooms in remaining 2 tbs butter till tender.
- Stir mushrooms into cheese sauce.
- Serve over beef or vegetables.
I made this for homemade burgers. And it was just right.
This was a nice sauce to go alonside our steaks, I'd run out of cornflour so mine didn't thicken as well as I would have liked with normal flour but it still tasted good. I think I would add some garlic to this if I made it again. Thanks for posting!