Recipe by fluffernutter
This super quick, delicious, hearty vegan meal originated with the Hakka Chinese, an small ethnic group of Chinese living in Calcutta and Malaysia. It was published in Copeland Marks' fascinating book, "Indian and Chinese Cooking from the Himalayan Rim."
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup whole cashew nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat and stir-fry the carrots for 1 minute. Add the pepper and cauliflower and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute.
- Salt the mixture and stir-fry for another minute. Combine the sugar, soy sauce and water and pour into the pan. Mix well and let cook for a minute. Add the cashews and mix well. Cook until the liquid begins to form a slightly thickened glaze, about another minute. Serve with rice.