Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
This dish is so quick and easy, you won't believe how great it tastes. One tasty little appetizer. If you like mushrooms you need to try this dish.
- 6 slice French bread, sliced thick
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 453.59 g cremini mushroom, diced (or button or oyster mushrooms)
- 56.69 g dry white wine
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 59.16 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 1.23 ml mace
- 14.79 ml breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, diced
- Lightly toast bread under broiler until it turns a golden colour.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Saute shallots and garlic in butter until softened.
- Next, stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook on medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine to mushroom mixture and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and mace and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once sauce thickens taste and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Place toasted bread on aluminum foiled cookie sheet.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over bread.
- Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs then dot with 1 tbsp of butter.
- Place under the broiler until top is a lovely golden colour. (watch carefully, it burns quickly).
Made for the tag game "Cooking Tag Mania" and I am so glad I did. I cut the recipe in half used French bread and we gobbled this down. Great appetizer for the Dodgers baseball game or really any time. Thank you for posting.
I made half a recipe but with 4 slices of French bread. This is a great side dish or appetizer. Do try this for a party or just a snack.
This is excellent! I had to use a French baguette since that's all my store had. I just cut it in thin slices so mine were smaller but still delicious! This sauce is just wonderful and I could have eaten it all by itself! My sauce wasn't thickened after 15 minutes so turned up to medium-high heat and it thickened nicely in no time. Thanks for posting this. A definite keeper.