Recipe by Baby Kato
This dish is so quick and easy, you won't believe how great it tastes. One tasty little appetizer. If you like mushrooms you need to try this dish.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for the tag game "Cooking Tag Mania" and I am so glad I did. I cut the recipe in half used French bread and we gobbled this down. Great appetizer for the Dodgers baseball game or really any time. Thank you for posting.
- 6 slices French bread, sliced thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, diced (or button or oyster mushrooms)
- 2 ounces dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly toast bread under broiler until it turns a golden colour.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Saute shallots and garlic in butter until softened.
- Next, stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook on medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine to mushroom mixture and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and mace and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once sauce thickens taste and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Place toasted bread on aluminum foiled cookie sheet.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over bread.
- Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs then dot with 1 tbsp of butter.
- Place under the broiler until top is a lovely golden colour. (watch carefully, it burns quickly).