Recipe by Peggy Lynn
This unique recipe is more like a "stuffing" I guess than a casserole-its great for the holidays and is always well received.I lost this once don't want to lose it again:)Hope you enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 -8 slices white bread (I use 8)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse mushrooms and pat dry with paper towels; chop mushrooms(I usually make mine about the size of diced ham chunks).
- Melt four tablespoons butter in large skillet.
- Add mushrooms,onions,celery and bell pepper,saute until just tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Mayonnaise;mix well.
- Use remaining two tablespoons butter to spread on both sides of bread slices;cut bread into cubes(I usually stack the bread and cut it all once to save time).
- Spread about half of the bread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Spoon mushroom mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk;mix well.
- Pour over mixture in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking,pour mushroom soup over mixture in baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour, or until hot and bubbly.