Recipe by Nif
The flaky dough is filled with the meaty portabella mushrooms, delicious caramelized onions and 3 cheeses! This is a savory and easy meal to make and there is a shortcut for the crust that will save you a lot of time. You might also want to dip these into pizza sauce for an added zing.
Top Review by Studentchef
I had to nearly double the amount of biscuits in order to use up the filling, as the filling would have spilled over and made a mess if I didn't. But once I did, I was happy. I love everything about it right down to the warmed up pizza sauce.
- 1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits, regular (10 biscuits)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc.)
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, remove gills and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (and or)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- pizza sauce, to dip (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate biscuits and place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400F but do NOT cook biscuits yet.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Add basil, stir and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and/or cheddar, parmesan cheese, pepper, salt and the egg white. (Save egg yolk in a small bowl or cup and set aside.) Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Stretch out a biscuit with your hands until it.
- ’s about 4 inches wide. Place the biscuit in the palm of your hand and add about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle, avoiding the edges. Fold biscuit in half and pinch edges shut. Place on side on baking sheet and seal the edges with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the biscuits.
- Mix egg yolk with water and stir well. Brush each calzone with the egg yolk mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping if you want to!