1/1 Photo of Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Cheese Calzones
The flaky dough is filled with the meaty portabella mushrooms, delicious caramelized onions and 3 cheeses! This is a savory and easy meal to make and there is a shortcut for the crust that will save you a lot of time. You might also want to dip these into pizza sauce for an added zing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits, regular (10 biscuits)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc.)
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, remove gills and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (and or)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- pizza sauce, to dip (optional)
- 1Separate biscuits and place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400F but do NOT cook biscuits yet.
- 2In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Add basil, stir and remove from heat.
- 3In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and/or cheddar, parmesan cheese, pepper, salt and the egg white. (Save egg yolk in a small bowl or cup and set aside.) Stir in mushroom mixture.
- 4Stretch out a biscuit with your hands until it.
- 5’s about 4 inches wide. Place the biscuit in the palm of your hand and add about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle, avoiding the edges. Fold biscuit in half and pinch edges shut. Place on side on baking sheet and seal the edges with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the biscuits.
- 6Mix egg yolk with water and stir well. Brush each calzone with the egg yolk mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping if you want to!
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Cheese Calzones
Serving Size: 1 (1263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.6
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 730.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 13.5 g