Recipe by Bogey'sMom
Elegant, different, and delicious
Top Review by queenofeats
A great recipe that goes well with just about anything! We paired it with hamburger steaks for a simple yet hearty meal. When I made this the celery came out very crunchy and seemed unusual when paired with the soft custard-like bread; I suspect I may not have chopped it up enough. Next time I may also try to saute the celery and onion when I saute the mushrooms to see if that helps. Overall a very enjoyable recipe that fulfilled our need for mushrooms!
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 dash pepper
- 6 slices bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the sliced mushrooms in 2 T butter for 3 minutes.
- Combine chopped onions, green pepper, celery, salt, pepper, mayonnaise and sauteed mushrooms in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Grease an 8 in.
- square casserole dish.
- Cut each bread slice in quarters.
- Lay 1/2 of the pieces in bottoms of dish overlapping slightly.
- Spread the mixture over the bread.
- Top with remaining bread squares.
- In small bowl, combine eggs and milk.
- Pour over the bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Spread undiluted soup over all.
- Bake for 45 minutes in preheated 350 oven.
- Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.