Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These go over well for a light dinner. I like to dress these in pitas with shredded lettuce, cukes, diced tomatoes...
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb cremini mushroom
- 1 cup cooked pearl barley
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- oil, for frying (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine the celery, carrot, garlic, onion, spices, and saute in the olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the barley, oats, seeds and nuts, tahini, and soy sauce.
- Toss well and add the cooked mushroom mixture.
- Mix well and chill for 4 hours.
- Form into 5 or 6 patties, pressing well and fry in oil until browned or bake on a lightly greased baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, turning once.
This was a really labor intensive recipe for a disappointing end result.
These are better than GREAT. They are AWESOME. My kids loved them and my husband too. We had them on whole wheat buns with the regular fixings. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I have been looking for one that topped a veggie burger I had at a restaurant in Florida that was the best I ever had. This is it!