Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This uncomplicated savoury bread pudding is a great sidedish, when served with a steak or roast beef. It can be served hot, or at room temperature.
- 473.18 ml seasoned croutons
- 946.36 ml milk, scalded
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 226.79 g mushrooms, chopped
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml onion, minced
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat the milk until bubbles form around the sides of the pan. Pour over the croutons. Stir in the eggs, one at a time.
- Saute the mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper in the melted butter until the onions become translucent. Cool briefly, then stir into the bread mixture.
- Pour into a greased 8" or 9" square baking dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a larger pan of hot water 350 degrees, 45-50 minutes, until firm.
I don't know if this was how it was meant to turn out as I cut the recipe down to two servings, sometimes it will go wrong but it didn't taste or look wrong, it was very nice. I had it on its own with a bit of salad for lunch, it was like a mini souffle. The croutons I used were Croutons#301695 which are nice on there own especially if they are made from nice bread. I used Seed & Spelt Bread Abm#447016 its a really nice bread, and what better way to use the last of the loaf, it has seeds in it so I got a very nice savoury pudding with the combination. I used skimmed milk and extra low fat cheddar for the top, also I sauteed the onion and mushroom in a wee spray of oil. thank you for posting made for happy hearts 2011