Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother, it was one of her husband's favorites. I remember it being a rather dense bread with a good flavor (if you like mushrooms of course). I'm estimating the preparation time, as it has been a while since I've made it.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Melt 2 tbsp of the margarine in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until liquid has evaporated; let cool.
- In another saucepan, scald milk.
- Stir in molasses, salt, and pepper, and cool until lukewarm.
- Measure warm water in large warm bowl and sprinkle in yeast. Stir until dissolved.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, mushroom mixture, egg, wheatgerm, and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto floured board, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover, let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half abd form into two loaves.
- Place in 2 greased 9"x5" loaf pans.
- Cover, let rise in pans, until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool before serving.
I loved this, yes it is on the dense side but thats no problem with me. Ok, heres what I did: I made a single loaf instead of two. Used a generous 1/2 cup of mushies and same of onions (softened in the micro to avoid using more butter), upped the pepper to 1/2 a tsp and added a fair pinch of red pepper flakes, the 1/4 cup of water was the water I used to soften the veggies in the micro, the egg was 1/4 cup of eggbeaters. The taste is marvelous and it makes a wicked good roast beef sandwich. Very low in fat and sugar, it makes a diabetic smile. Thank you Lucid.
The bread has a very strong wheat flavor and the mushroom and onion flavor did not come through for us. Next time I will increase, maybe double the mushrooms and onions. Maybe butter the top and sprinkle with dried onions before baking. The bread does come out dense, which I did not catch when I read the intro. Over all, pretty good bread