Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering bread
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- hot sauce
- 3 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (or 3 T. chopped fresh chives)
- Preheat a large pot over high heat with the oil and butter.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme; cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add in onions, garlic, salt, and pepper; continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in cognac; stir for 1 minute; add ½ cup chicken stock and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the mushrooms and the liquid to a blender or food processor; puree until really smooth.
- Return the puree to the soup pot; add in the remaining 2 ½ cups of broth and cream.
- Add in a few dashes of hot sauce and bring to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Toast the bread dark and extra crisp; butter the toast and cut into very small cubes.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top with croutons and parsley.