Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 2001 Taste of Home Annual Recipe cookbook. I haven't tried this yet, but recipe calls for 2 cups of sour cream - I'll probably decrease the amount to 1 or 1 1/2 cups when I make it. I'm guessing at the prep times.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- hot cooked noodles or rice
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Brown steak; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms; saute until tender.
- Return steak to pan.
- Add soup, sour cream, onions, thyme and marjoram; heat gently (do not boil).
- Serve over noodles or rice.
I'm sorry, but this recipe just didn't work for me??!? I used 1 can of mushrooms rather than fresh and light sour cream. I added about 1.5 cups of sour cream and it tasted wayyy to strong, all I could taste was sour cream.... maybe I didn't add enough mushrooms? Thanks for the recipe though! I try it again with some changes:)
Marla, thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!! I had this written down on a piece of paper for years. DH found it the other day and thought it was scratch paper and threw it away! I panicked!!!! This is the only Stroganoff recipe I use! After finding your recipe I had to try it to make sure it was the same. Sure enough my FAVORITE RECIPE! Safe and sound on Zaar!!! This is a delicious, comfort food that I will continue to make over and over. I made this over the weekend with Ground Sirloin meatballs, and only used 1 cup of sour cream with chives. Thanks again Marla!!! :)
This was so good. I used leftover pot roast to make this. The meat was so tender that you can't see the slices. It all blended in together. I served this on herbed egg noodles and had garlic bread on the side. Thank you so much for the recipe... I will make this again. What a wonderful meal! :)