Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A recipe from the Taste of Home cookbook. It's very yummy. It can be made in the crockpot but I made it on the stove-top. You can add some bell pepper and other veggies to make it chunkier.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90 % lean)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce, broth, parsley, brown sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stovetop mushroom-beef spaghetti sauce : Prepare as directed in step 1. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Delicious sauce, will become my standard recipe! I tripled the recipe to put some away in the freezer for future use, and the only alteration I did was add a head of garlic...couldn't quite believe garlic wasn't already called for, but it's not quite Italian if there's not garlic in it. I rate the recipe as written, but this was 5 stars when I was done. People were eating it with no noodles by the end of the night lol.
Yummy sauce! I made the stovetop version and loved the aroma while it was cooking. Very simple and good. Thanks Boomette for a nice treat. Made for your win in the All You Can Cook Buffet special.
This was real good. I used my home made tomato sauce and simmered for 2 hours. The smell forced me to test taste this sauce every 15 min. or so. YUM! It makes quite a bit so I'll freeze some for later. Made for Every Day's A Holiday.