Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe at one of my WW meetings. It's really tasty at only 3 point per serving.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (no salt added)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh minced parsley
- In a pot add barley and 4 cups of water, bring to a boil turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes until barley is partially cooked.
- In a pot or dutch oven add oil onions and celery: cook until softened (stirring to prevent burning).
- Add mushrooms cook until they begin to release liquid, then add broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley (with liquid) bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally until barley and carrots are cooked about 30 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper garnish with parsley and serve.
This a wonderful soup. I omitted the oil and cooked the onion and in water, but otherwise made the recipe as written. The end result is a thick and flavourful soup. Thanks for the easy soup recipe.