Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious comfort food soup, easy to prepare and a hit at any dinner you bring it to.
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushroom
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons parve mushroom soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup dry cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- Cover the dried mushrooms with 1 cup boiling water and let steep 20 minutes.
- Drain, strain and reserve the liquid from the mushrooms.
- Chop 2/3 of the fresh mushrooms finely.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add fresh mushrooms and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the barley and sauté until the barley begins to color.
- Add the broth, soup mix, potato starch, sherry, wine, reserved mushroom liquid and reconstituted mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and add the thyme.
- Simmer partially covered for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Add the parsley and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.