Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an exquisite soup. You won't believe the depth and complexity of the broth (especially w/o the use of alcohol or sour cream). The original recipe calls for 9 cups of chicken broth. My two containers only had 8, so that's all I used. It turned out so well, that's what is listed below. You can also substitute regular white mushrooms for the portobellos.
- 3 tablespoons butter (or a combination of butter and olive oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, stemmed and quartered
- 1 lb portobello mushroom, stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Melt butter in large dutch oven over med-high heat. Add the onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and 1/4 t. salt. Cook until they have softened and browned, 10 - 15 minutes. (This salt is necessary to get the liquid out of the mushrooms.).
- Stir in the carrots and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, barley, thyme and 1/2 teaspoons salt (if desired). Bring to simmer. Cook until barley is tender, about 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. I thought it was fine without any additional salt or pepper.
- To make ahead: it keeps for 3 days in the fridge or 1 month in freezer. Re heat over low, adding additional water or broth to adjust consistency.
Absolutely delicious! So easy to make too. I did increase the garlic a bit and also added some additional chicken stock. Already shared this recipe with my co-workers! Thanks for sharing.
D-e-e-elicious!!! I will be making this soup quite a bit since it's so easy and I love the ingredients. I didn't have any carrots so I cut up celery and it was wonderful. Thank you America's Test Kitchen and thank you Debbie for posting this simple but great tasting soup!!
Made half a recipe of this delicious soup. It was easy and very filling. Love the barley. Served with a slice of rye bread.