Recipe by Demelza
I had seen a similar recipe to this & made a few adjustments to suit our family. I usually make this soup on the stove, but have used a slow cooker for it. We prefer it done on the stove. Adjust the garlic to your own preference, I tend to go on the light side as it can easily overpower the flavours in the soup. I use pot barley, but pearl barley is fine. Use any type of mushrooms you like. Don't leave out the dill weed or the soy sauce, they are an important part of the seasoning in this soup. Serve it with a nice fresh soft or crusty roll or loaf of bread. This will serve 4 as a main course, or about 8 people as a starter.
Top Review by Outta Here
A very hearty soup, even without meat, and easy too! I used a mix of fresh creminis and dried chanterelles. I also added 1/4 cup dried onion flakes. Served with hot bread on what was supposed to be a Spring day that was very COLD! This hit the spot. Made for Spring 2013 PAC game.
- 1 cup thinly sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2-1 garlic clove, minced (or use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of garlic paste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 liter chicken broth (use vegetable broth for a vegan version)
- 1⁄3 cup pot barley
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms, celery & garlic in butter for about 3 minutes.
- Combine broth, sauted veg, soy sauce & barley in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots & dill weed, simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.