Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
A vegetarian recipe. Vegans can use vegetarian broth.
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 celery, sliced
- 113.39 g button mushroom, halved
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 44.37 ml uncooked pearl barley
- 1.23 ml balsamic vinegar
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper
- Cook vegetables over medium heat in broth for 15 minutes until softened.
- Add barley and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until barley is cooked.
- Add vinegar, thyme, pepper and salt to serve.
- Keeps fresh for up to 2 days.
This soup is fabulous! The ingredients are so simple that I thought it might need some cream or sherry or cheese, but it is perfect just the way it is. My husband isn't a big soup eater and he raved about this recipe.