Cook1 hr 10 mins
Variation of beef & barley soup recipe that was listed on the box of barley I bought. Perfect hearty (and heart healthy) meal idea and an easy weekend cooker for a whole week's worth of lunches. I've made the recipe for myself with much more garlic (4 cloves), but most people who've tried that amount agree it has too much for their taste.
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 lb white mushroom
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (to taste)
- wash all vegetables under cold water. dab mushrooms with damp paper towel to clean, then remove their stems and discard. quarter-cut mushrooms. mince garlic. dice onions. cut celery into bite-sized pieces as they will reduce a bit during cooking. peel, then cut carrots into relatively thin slices. open can of corn and drain. open can of tomatoes-pour entire contents into bowl and break up tomatoes into smaller pieces (do not drain the liquid from the can, that will be used in the recipe as well).
- heat vegetable oil in large pot. add onions and garlic. cook over low heat until onions are tender.
- add carrots and celery. cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- add all remaining ingredients-except for corn, pepper and ginger. stir. bring to a boil.
- cover, reduce heat to simmer. simmer for 50 minutes. if too much water steams off, add additional water. stir occasionally.
- add corn and season with pepper and ginger to taste. simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes with cover off.